- This event has passed.
One Book, One Town
Monday, April 10 - Sunday, April 16
We invite residents of Downers Grove to join us in a community reading event and conversation. In partnership with the Downers Grove Public Library, we’ve selected a book that promotes empathy and inclusion. Our hope is to inspire a productive dialogue and to discover the commonalities that unite us as a strong, caring, dynamic community. The book we’ve chosen for this initiative is Answers in the Pages by David Levithan. Get your copy from the Library or from Anderson’s Bookshop, read it, and be ready to join a discussion group. Join a conversation around Downers Grove the week of April 10-16, 2023 at one of the following locations. No registration required!
Monday, April 10: Kickoff Event with Author David Levithan! We are thrilled to announce that author David Levithan, whose groundbreaking works include Boy Meets Boy, Every Day, the Dash & Lily series, Nick & Nora’s Infinite Playlist, and Answers in the Pages, will be joining us virtually for two incredible events! Don’t miss this rare opportunity to gain perspective from the author himself! Registration for these two events is required through the DGPL at dglibrary.org, and opens March 9th.
- 6-7pm at the Downers Grove Public Library, 1050 Curtiss Street, Downers Grove, for a private, teens-only conversation about how his works reflect the unique challenges and struggles of today’s youth, particularly those in the LGBTQ+ community. Free pizza will be provided. Register here.
- 7-8pm at the Downers Grove Public Library, 1050 Curtiss Street, Downers Grove, to discuss Answers in the Pages, explore themes from the book, and answer questions from the audience. Register here.
Additional Book Discussion Groups 📖
No registration required
Tuesday, April 11
- 12pm at Wasabi, 5130 Main Street, Downers Grove
- 7pm at Emmett’s Brewing Company, 5200 Main Street, Downers Grove
- 7pm at Cadence Kitchen & Co., 5101 Mochel Drive, Downers Grove
- 6pm at The Cellar Door, 5150 Main Street, Downers Grove
Sip and Read ☕🍷🍺
Grab a drink, relax, and settle in with a copy of Answers in the Pages provided by one of your favorite Downers Grove establishments! While you are there, you can check out the book and read it at your leisure while enjoying your favorite wine, beer, coffee, or tea. Books must be returned to the establishment before leaving the premises so that other community members can also participate. Businesses have copies of the book available in the weeks leading up to One Book, One Town week.
Participating Downers Grove Businesses
- Peet’s Coffee, 5100 Main Street
- The Cellar Door, 5150 Main Street
- Orange & Brew, 1027 Burlington Avenue
- Mud and Char, 2742 Maple Avenue
- Kerwell Premium CBD Shop, 949 Burlington Avenue
Have questions about this community-wide reading initiative? Send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.